OK, here is a recipe that is entirely thanks to the CSA. Anything I make with cabbage is; they have been giving us a cabbage a week, and that’s a lot of cabbage. You can only garnish so much posole, you know what I’m saying? So, then: slaws.
Peattie loves any kind of peanut-flavored thing (peanut noodles, panang curry, peanut sauce) so this was his request and the result of another Google search. It was good, but I thought it needed more spice. I added maybe 1/3 a jalapeno, diced, and when I make this again (which I will be), I’d add more.
Crunchy Peanut Slaw
Barely modified from the Kitchn
- 1 medium head green cabbage, outer leaves removed
- 1 1/2 cups roasted, unsalted peanuts
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (both white and green parts)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup light oil, like canola
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or more, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (or more, to taste)
Shred the cabbage very finely, then toss with the peanuts in a large bowl. Add the scallions and cilantro and toss again, then season lightly with S&P. Whisk the dressing until emulsified, then taste and adjust to your own preferences of sweetness and saltiness. Toss with the cabbage. Eat with gusto.